Been Appointed as a Liquidator?

This means a company has either filed for voluntary liquidation or a creditor has placed the company into liquidation and creditors have motivated or endorsed your appointment as liquidator of the company (in liquidation) and the Master having regard to this support received from creditors as well exercising its own discretion, has requested you to furnish security for your obligations in office as officer of the company.

As liquidator, you will have the responsibility for collecting in all of the assets of the company and settling all claims against the company before putting the company into dissolution, that is de-registering it.  The company from date of winding up has no capacity to enter into contracts with suppliers, employees or to incur any further debt.  You must assume control of all property to which the company appears to be entitled.

The exercise of your powers is subject to the Insolvency Act, 1936 and chapter 14 of The Companies Act, 1973.

Where, during the investigation of the affairs of the company, you uncover any wrongdoing on the part of the management of the company or any debtor or creditor of the company you will have the power to hold an inquiry to establish any liability on the part of any person. Additionally should it be found that any disposal of company assets was made within 6 months immediately preceding the company going into liquidation, you may set aside such dispositions.

At all times, you will be required to provide the Master of the High Court with any and all information that may be required by law to keep him up to date as to the progress of the company. Further, you will be required at all times to act with utmost transparency and integrity.

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Why the need for TOP UP insurance?

For law firms and sole practitioners alike, it is critical that the limit of cover offered under your Professional Indemnity insurance policy is adequate for your business. We strongly recommend you review your limit to determine whether an increase in cover, beyond what may be offered by your professional indemnity fund. For attorneys this is…

Contemplating an application for the sequestration of a debtor’s estate in terms of the Insolvency Act?

An application may be launched in the High Court to sequestrate the estate of the insolvent if the creditor has a claim of R 1000 or more against the debtor. This figure hasn’t been increased for some time since the enactment of the Insolvency Act in 1936. However we can imagine only those persons with…

How Bond Claims Work

Should you suspect a loss has been suffered by an estate at the hands of a trustee / liquidator/ executor (the incumbent named on the bond of security), you should proceed to investigate it. Once your investigation is complete, you need to notify the Master of your investigations and be able to substantiate the loss…