Business Rescue: How do I apply for a license as a Business Rescue Practitioner?

A person may be appointed as a business rescue practitioner of a company only if he or she is a member in good standing of a legal, accounting or business management profession.

A conditional license as a practioner  may be issued to a person who has been nominated by a company that is financially distressed.

Application for a license can be done online via CIPC’s website.

The following supporting documents should accompany the COR126.1 application form

  • A comprehensive cv containing full and detailed particulars of your relevant practical experience in business turn around practice
  • Certified copies of your qualifications
  • Motivation to substantiate the specific group or category that you wish to be licensed for, clearly demonstrating your relevant experience for a
    • senior practitioner (combined period of at least 10 years)
    • experienced practitioner (combined period of at least 5 years)
    • junior practitioner (combined period of less than 5 years)
  • Evidence to substantiate the factual information in respect of history and relevant practical experience
  • References that relate to the years of experience required for the specific category
  • Proof of Membership to professional body or bodies including membership numbers
  • Certified copy of your Identity Document or Passport
  • A letter from the business that is applying for business rescue proceedings nominating you as the business rescue practitioner
  • Public Interest score (PIS)_of Company (a breakdown of the calculation of the PI score is required) and Industry affiliation
  • A statement that you are not disqualified from being appointed as a practitioner in terms of section 138(1) (c), (d), (e) and (f) of the Companies Act 2008
  • A letter confirming that you are not under probation and have the capacity to work as a business rescue practitioner
  • A declaration that you are independent and have no relationship with the company in rescue
  • Tax clearance certificate

Jacqui Smith (LLB)

Legal Advisor

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Why the need for TOP UP insurance?

For law firms and sole practitioners alike, it is critical that the limit of cover offered under your Professional Indemnity insurance policy is adequate for your business. We strongly recommend you review your limit to determine whether an increase in cover, beyond what may be offered by your professional indemnity fund. For attorneys this is…

Contemplating an application for the sequestration of a debtor’s estate in terms of the Insolvency Act?

An application may be launched in the High Court to sequestrate the estate of the insolvent if the creditor has a claim of R 1000 or more against the debtor. This figure hasn’t been increased for some time since the enactment of the Insolvency Act in 1936. However we can imagine only those persons with…

How Bond Claims Work

Should you suspect a loss has been suffered by an estate at the hands of a trustee / liquidator/ executor (the incumbent named on the bond of security), you should proceed to investigate it. Once your investigation is complete, you need to notify the Master of your investigations and be able to substantiate the loss…