Punitive Costs Orders for Executors

Punitive costs orders for executors who fail to lodge accounts or perform their duties

The Administration of Estates Act, 1965 (“the Act”) provides that if an executor fails to lodge any account with the Master as and when required to by the Act or to lodge any voucher or vouchers in support of such account or any entry therein, in accordance with any provision of or a requirement imposed under the Act or to perform any other duty imposed upon him by the Act or to comply with any reasonable demand of the Master for information or proof required by him in connection with the liquidation or distribution of the estate, the Master or any person having an interest in the liquidation and distribution of the estate may, after giving the executor not less than one month’s notice, apply to the Court for an order directing the executor to lodge such account or voucher or vouchers in support thereof or of any entry therein or to perform such duty or to comply with such demand.

The costs adjudged to the Master or to such person shall, unless otherwise ordered by the Court, shall be payable by the executor, de bonis propriis.

Professional indemnity policies generally exclude costs de bonis propriis which means the executor will have to pay these costs out of his own pocket.

Jacqui Smith (LLB)

Legal Advisor

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Why the need for TOP UP insurance?

For law firms and sole practitioners alike, it is critical that the limit of cover offered under your Professional Indemnity insurance policy is adequate for your business. We strongly recommend you review your limit to determine whether an increase in cover, beyond what may be offered by your professional indemnity fund. For attorneys this is…

Contemplating an application for the sequestration of a debtor’s estate in terms of the Insolvency Act?

An application may be launched in the High Court to sequestrate the estate of the insolvent if the creditor has a claim of R 1000 or more against the debtor. This figure hasn’t been increased for some time since the enactment of the Insolvency Act in 1936. However we can imagine only those persons with…

How Bond Claims Work

Should you suspect a loss has been suffered by an estate at the hands of a trustee / liquidator/ executor (the incumbent named on the bond of security), you should proceed to investigate it. Once your investigation is complete, you need to notify the Master of your investigations and be able to substantiate the loss…