The appointment of a Tutor, when and how?

A tutor may be appointed over the estate of a minor where necessary. A child or minor is defined in the Children’s Act as meaning a person under the age of 18 years.

The general rule is that minors are under disability in that the law does not regard them as capable of managing their own affairs.  Under normal circumstances it is the parents of the minor, who are also the minor’s natural guardians, who supervise the minor’s affairs and assists him or her legally where necessary, but sometimes it may happen that a minor has no natural guardian (for example where both parents are deceased), and that no parental responsibilities and rights have been granted to any other person either in a valid Will.

Where the minor’s property consists of cash and investments only it can be deposited into the Guardian’s Fund in which case no tutor to the minor’s property is required, although a tutor or guardian to look after the person of the minor may still be necessary.

Tutors can be nominated in applications instituted in the High Court or in a Last Will and Testament where after the Master will make the appointment.

Only the following persons may validly nominate a tutor in their will

The sole natural guardian (surviving parent) of a legitimate minor, who has not been deprived of his/her guardianship over such minor by the court.
The mother of an illegitimate minor, who has not been deprived by the Court of guardianship of such minor.
The parent to whom the sole guardianship of the minor has been granted by the court.

Jacqui Smith (LLB)

Legal Advisor

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Business Rescue FAQ

Wanting to stop a business rescue? Business rescue proceedings are brought about to facilitate the rehabilitation of a company that is financially distressed and the proceedings offer a very useful alternative to the liquidation of a company. So you should be careful to ensure that you have good grounds to set aside the proceedings. Some of the…

Deregistration of Trusts

Trust registration Trusts must be registered with the Master in whose area of jurisdiction the greatest portion of the trust assets are situated. If more than one Master has jurisdiction over the trust assets, the Master in whose office the trust was first registered will continue to have jurisdiction. What does the Trust Property Control…

Where must deceased estates be reported?

Wherever the deceased was living in the Republic of South Africa, the estate should be reported to the Master of the High Court in that jurisdiction. In other words if the deceased was living in that area for 12 months prior to his/her death, then the Master’s office overseeing estates in that region should open an…