Trustee Bonds of Security | FAQS

Do all trustees require trustee bonds of security?

No, if trustees are exempt from furnishing security in the trust deed, they will not be required to source a bond through a bond provider.

What happens if a trustee named in the Letters of Authority resigns or dies – does this affect the security bond?

On the death or resignation of a trustee, the Letters of Authority must be returned to the  Master for the name of the trustee concerned to be deleted. A written resignation by an  outgoing trustee and a resolution by the remaining trustees accepting the resignation would be required by the Master and, in the case of a deceased trustee, a copy of the death certificate would have to be lodged. If security bonds were given to all named trustees an endorsement will have to be effected to the security bond to only reflect the  remaining trustees names.

What else may I need to do if a replacement trustee has not been appointed by the Master and the Trust Deed specifies there must at all times be no less than a certain number of trustees?

An endorsement to the security bond will need to be effected to reflect the addition of the new trustee(s) for the Master to issue amended Letters of Authority. Until this is done, the remaining trustees do not have the capacity to enter into binding transactions on behalf of the trust and the surety will not be guaranteeing the performance of all appointees who are required to act together. The surety can only guarantee the performance of office holders/ appointees hence it is of extreme importance to notify the surety of any changes to the names and number of office holders.

Jacqui Smith (LLB)

Legal Advisor

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Why the need for TOP UP insurance?

For law firms and sole practitioners alike, it is critical that the limit of cover offered under your Professional Indemnity insurance policy is adequate for your business. We strongly recommend you review your limit to determine whether an increase in cover, beyond what may be offered by your professional indemnity fund. For attorneys this is…

Contemplating an application for the sequestration of a debtor’s estate in terms of the Insolvency Act?

An application may be launched in the High Court to sequestrate the estate of the insolvent if the creditor has a claim of R 1000 or more against the debtor. This figure hasn’t been increased for some time since the enactment of the Insolvency Act in 1936. However we can imagine only those persons with…

How Bond Claims Work

Should you suspect a loss has been suffered by an estate at the hands of a trustee / liquidator/ executor (the incumbent named on the bond of security), you should proceed to investigate it. Once your investigation is complete, you need to notify the Master of your investigations and be able to substantiate the loss…