Understanding VAT & How To Save On Your MedMal Insurance Premium

VAT explained

Value Added Tax (VAT) is a secondary tax that is charged on the consumption of goods and services in the economy. In the context of medical practitioners, VAT is charged on the consumption of your services (the provision of healthcare). This means that a portion of your revenue is paid to SARS as VAT. This is known as output VAT and is how SARS collects their VAT revenue.

Reducing my taxable income

Input VAT is an allowance which you can claim to reduce the output VAT payable to SARS. You can reduce your output VAT payable to SARS by claiming input VAT on your practice expenses, which includes your medical malpractice insurance premiums paid to local insurance companies.

How is this achieved?

By choosing a South African medical malpractice insurance offering, you can claim the VAT back on this payment to reduce your output VAT payable.

The below is an example for illustration purposes only

*As the practice income includes VAT at 15%, this is owed to SARS
** Since you can claim 15% of the insurance premium,
you pay R15 000 less in VAT for the year

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Business Rescue FAQ

Wanting to stop a business rescue? Business rescue proceedings are brought about to facilitate the rehabilitation of a company that is financially distressed and the proceedings offer a very useful alternative to the liquidation of a company. So you should be careful to ensure that you have good grounds to set aside the proceedings. Some of the…

Deregistration of Trusts

Trust registration Trusts must be registered with the Master in whose area of jurisdiction the greatest portion of the trust assets are situated. If more than one Master has jurisdiction over the trust assets, the Master in whose office the trust was first registered will continue to have jurisdiction. What does the Trust Property Control…

Where must deceased estates be reported?

Wherever the deceased was living in the Republic of South Africa, the estate should be reported to the Master of the High Court in that jurisdiction. In other words if the deceased was living in that area for 12 months prior to his/her death, then the Master’s office overseeing estates in that region should open an…