What are Court Bonds & How to Get One

A court bond is a suretyship issued by an insurer in favour of the master of the high court for the due and proper performance of the appointee’s obligations and duties towards an estate which he/she is administering.

The surety being the insurance company guarantees to pay the master, the obligee, a certain amount if the executor/curator/trustee (the principal) fails to meet its obligation, such as the proper administration of all estate funds.

Upon a dereliction of duty, the master may call upon the bond and demand payment from the surety of the loss suffered by the estate. At all times the surety acts as a co-principal debtor with the executor/curator/trustee.

Should a demand be made to the surety it is not without its remedies, it may pursue the executor/curator/trustee in office for the amount which it has paid.

Shackleton Risk offers court bonds to pre-approved applicants. At Shackleton Risk we are able to place any size court bond within a matter of hours once the applicant has been approved.

At Shackleton Risk, our turn-around time and service is unprecedented allowing us to remain the market leaders in security bonds.

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Business Rescue FAQ

Wanting to stop a business rescue? Business rescue proceedings are brought about to facilitate the rehabilitation of a company that is financially distressed and the proceedings offer a very useful alternative to the liquidation of a company. So you should be careful to ensure that you have good grounds to set aside the proceedings. Some of the…

Deregistration of Trusts

Trust registration Trusts must be registered with the Master in whose area of jurisdiction the greatest portion of the trust assets are situated. If more than one Master has jurisdiction over the trust assets, the Master in whose office the trust was first registered will continue to have jurisdiction. What does the Trust Property Control…

Where must deceased estates be reported?

Wherever the deceased was living in the Republic of South Africa, the estate should be reported to the Master of the High Court in that jurisdiction. In other words if the deceased was living in that area for 12 months prior to his/her death, then the Master’s office overseeing estates in that region should open an…