What are Court Bonds & How to Get One

A court bond is a suretyship issued by an insurer in favour of the master of the high court for the due and proper performance of the appointee’s obligations and duties towards an estate which he/she is administering.

The surety being the insurance company guarantees to pay the master, the obligee, a certain amount if the executor/curator/trustee (the principal) fails to meet its obligation, such as the proper administration of all estate funds.

Upon a dereliction of duty, the master may call upon the bond and demand payment from the surety of the loss suffered by the estate. At all times the surety acts as a co-principal debtor with the executor/curator/trustee.

Should a demand be made to the surety it is not without its remedies, it may pursue the executor/curator/trustee in office for the amount which it has paid.

Shackleton Risk offers court bonds to pre-approved applicants. At Shackleton Risk we are able to place any size court bond within a matter of hours once the applicant has been approved.

At Shackleton Risk, our turn-around time and service is unprecedented allowing us to remain the market leaders in security bonds.

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Why the need for TOP UP insurance?

For law firms and sole practitioners alike, it is critical that the limit of cover offered under your Professional Indemnity insurance policy is adequate for your business. We strongly recommend you review your limit to determine whether an increase in cover, beyond what may be offered by your professional indemnity fund. For attorneys this is…

Contemplating an application for the sequestration of a debtor’s estate in terms of the Insolvency Act?

An application may be launched in the High Court to sequestrate the estate of the insolvent if the creditor has a claim of R 1000 or more against the debtor. This figure hasn’t been increased for some time since the enactment of the Insolvency Act in 1936. However we can imagine only those persons with…

How Bond Claims Work

Should you suspect a loss has been suffered by an estate at the hands of a trustee / liquidator/ executor (the incumbent named on the bond of security), you should proceed to investigate it. Once your investigation is complete, you need to notify the Master of your investigations and be able to substantiate the loss…