What is Business Rescue?

Business rescue, as defined by the Companies Act 2008, aims to facilitate the rehabilitation of a company that is “financially distressed” by providing for
1. the temporary supervision of the company and management of its affairs, business and property by a business rescue practitioner, and
2. a temporary moratorium (“stay”) on activities carried out by the company as well as  enforcement proceedings brought against the company (without the consent of the BRP).

How can Business rescue be initiated ?

By the board of directors of the company
By an application to court when the business is financially distressed by various affected persons  (including shareholders, creditors, registered trade unions and employees).

What is the function of the BRP?

A business rescue practitioner is appointed to oversee and supervise on a temporary basis the management, affairs and business of the company and to devise, prepare, develop and implement a business rescue plan.  The plan will be implemented if approved by creditors and shareholders who have to vote on the plan.

Do the directors of an entity under BR have any  residual capacity or authority  ?

Each director of the company:

will continue to exercise the functions of a director subject to the authority of the practitioner duly appointed
must assist the practitioner that is expected to operate the company and to continue to run its business
may delegate any power or function to the practitioner duly appointed that would have full management control of the company in substitution for its board and pre-existing management.

Jacqui Smith (LLB)

Legal Advisor

Subscribe now
Read More

More Articles

Why the need for TOP UP insurance?

For law firms and sole practitioners alike, it is critical that the limit of cover offered under your Professional Indemnity insurance policy is adequate for your business. We strongly recommend you review your limit to determine whether an increase in cover, beyond what may be offered by your professional indemnity fund. For attorneys this is…

Contemplating an application for the sequestration of a debtor’s estate in terms of the Insolvency Act?

An application may be launched in the High Court to sequestrate the estate of the insolvent if the creditor has a claim of R 1000 or more against the debtor. This figure hasn’t been increased for some time since the enactment of the Insolvency Act in 1936. However we can imagine only those persons with…

How Bond Claims Work

Should you suspect a loss has been suffered by an estate at the hands of a trustee / liquidator/ executor (the incumbent named on the bond of security), you should proceed to investigate it. Once your investigation is complete, you need to notify the Master of your investigations and be able to substantiate the loss…